This somewhat odd idea given to me by my boyfriend, Chunk, actually turned into a really delicious meal. We were walking down freshman hill and he asked me if I could make a peppered steak with cottage cheese.
So, as always, I made the weird request it was amazing.
You will need: 4 ribeye steaks, 1 fresh pineapple cut into rings, 2 Tbsp olive oil, lots of black pepper, 1 cup of cottage cheese, and 1 stick of softened butter.
That's right. A whole stick. These steaks are going to be incredible.
Grab your meat!
Now start rubbing the butter into the steaks. Really slather it on. 1 Tablespoon per steak, per side.
Hence the reason you need a whole stick. Isn't math fun?
Now generously crack pepper all over the tops of the steak.
You want a lot of pepper on the steak.
"Tigers love pepper; they hate cinnamon."
Such a great movie. I say that quote in my head every time I pepper a steak.
Now salt each steak. And rub in that seasoning!
Now we're going to flip them over and repeat!
Butter the steak!
Season the steak!
Now turn the fan above your stove on high, position someone with a piece of paper under your overly-sensitive smoke detector that some idiot put in the kitchen with no windows, and set your grill pan on medium-high heat.
Swirl the 2 Tbsp of olive oil around the pan.
Now throw on the steak!
You want it to really be sizzling.
After they have grilled for a few minutes, give 'em a flip!
Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is.
Remove them to a cutting board to rest after the other side has cooked.
Now grill the second two!
Set them aside with the first two steaks...
And tuck them in with a piece of foil.
Now, leave all the steak bits in the pan...
And throw on the pineapple!
Give them a flip after about 2 minutes and let them cook for another 2 minutes on the second side.
Grab a large plate and throw on the steak.
Top it with a piece of pineapple...
Now spoon 1/4 cup of cottage cheese on top.
I tried to get artistic with the cottage cheese, I promise I won't try it again.
I served mine with some peas but you can choose your favorite vegetable.
This steak really surpassed my expectations.
If pineapple isn't your thing, it's great without it as well. That's how Chunk inhaled his.
Thanks to my older sister for helping take photos while my hands were coated in butter!
Ribeyes with Grilled Pineapple and Cottage Cheese
- 4 ribeye steaks
- 1 fresh pineapple cut into rings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 1 stick of softened butter
- Slather 1 Tbsp of butter onto each side of the steaks. Season liberally with pepper and just a bit of salt.
- Set a grill pan over medium-high heat and pour in the olive oil. Grill the steaks for about 4 minutes on each side, or until they form a beautiful crust. Set aside on a cutting board or plate and cover with tin foil.
- Without washing it, lay the pineapple in a single layer in the same pan used to grill the steaks. Grill for a few minutes on each side.
- To plate up, top each steak with a slice or two of pineapple and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.