Saturday, December 24, 2011

Creamy Chicken Cobbler

Cooking Confession: I love casseroles. I cannot get enough of them. Creamy, warm goodness that just makes you happy inside, what's not to love?

I first came up with this recipe on one of the many nights when my 3 roommates and I were starving, but had no desire to fight rush hour traffic to get to the store. So, I made this from anything I could find in (or on top of) our fridge. Not to toot my own horn, but it was GOOD. I mean, 3 helpings good.

So, because I love when people share their great food finds with me, here is how to make Creamy Chicken Cobbler.


I know I just said this is called Creamy Chicken Cobbler, but my family had a big turkey dinner earlier this week, so I'm using chopped leftover turkey instead.



In addition to the chicken, you will need: a large onion, 1 bell pepper, 4 small potatoes (or however many taters you can stand) and 1 large carrot (or several baby carrots) all chopped.



Later, you will need: BUTTER, chicken stock, sour cream, thyme, bay leaves, heavy cream, and frozen peas.


To start off, put the chopped potatoes in a small pot.






Add 1 small bay leaf...


the thyme... (I think the camera decided to add the full 10 lbs to my hand...)


Cover with chicken stock and bring to a boil!





While the taters are a cookin', add half a stick of butter to a LARGE skillet over medium or med-high heat.





Next add your chopped onion, bell pepper, and carrots.


Season with salt and pepper and give them a good stir.





Once the onions are translucent and the carrots are just cooked, add your chicken (or turkey) to heat through.


Now your potatoes should be cooked. (If not, this is going to bake in the oven for a bit so they'll finish in there). Pour the entire pot of potatoes in your skillet (stock and all).


Now, freak out because your camera has died in the middle of cooking and you forgot to bring your charger to your parents' house.

After your sweet mama gives you her camera to use, add 1 cup of heavy cream to the skillet



And 1 cup of sour cream. Stir 'er round.





Give it a taste and season the sauce


Add your frozen peas


And pour into a 9x13 inch pan.



Top with biscuits (I cheated and used frozen).


Bake at 400 until brown on top.



Mmmm creamy biscuity goodness.

Enjoy!



Creamy Chicken Cobbler
Ingredients:
3 Chicken breasts; cubed and cooked
1 large Carrot; chopped
1 bell pepper (I used yellow); chopped
1 ½ onion medium onion; chopped
4 small yellow potatoes, cubed
½ tsp dried thyme
½ bay leaf
½ stick butter
salt, pepper
1 cup sour cream
4 cups chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup frozen peas
biscuits

Procedure:
1.) Preheat oven to 400.  Put potatoes in a small pot, season with thyme and bay leaf. Pour broth into pot until potatoes are just covered. Bring to a boil.
2.)  Add butter to skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and carrot to the skillet. Season and stir.
3.)  Once the potatoes are cooked through, pour the pot (stock and everything) into the skillet. Add heavy cream and simmer on low heat.
4.)  Add the sour cream and stir (do not boil!). Add more chicken stock as needed.  Add peas and pour into 9x13 casserole dish.
5.)  Drop biscuits on top and bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment