Thursday, August 22, 2013

Spinach and Artichoke White Bean Hummus


I've been meaning to make this hummus for quite some time and last night I finally got around to doing it!

It's amazing what I can get done when I'm trying to avoid thinking about the upcoming semester. I think it's going to be a doozy.


You will need: 1 can of great northern beans, 1 Tbsp tahini, 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 jar of artichoke hearts, 1 Tbsp of artichoke heart oil, 5 oz of thawed frozen spinach, and 1 Tbsp of olive oil (not pictured).

Pictured that I didn't use: onion powder. After all was said and done, I just didn't think it was needed.


Drain and thoroughly rinse your can of beans and throw it in the food processor.


Stir up your tahini; it tends to settle.


And add 1 Tbsp to the food processor.


Next add in 1 clove of garlic. I threw in two because I love garlic. However, this makes for a super garlic-y hummus, so proceed with caution.


Now add in about 10 artichoke hearts.

Now, artichokes are, in my opinion, one of the greatest foods on the planet. So, 10 artichokes didn't produce the intense artichoke flavor I wanted. Next time I think I will add in the whole jar. If you love artichokes as much as I do, try it and let me know how it went in the comment section!


Now slap on the top and give everything a whir until it reaches a smooth consistency.


See? Smooth and super thick.


Now pour in 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp of oil from the artichoke jar. It adds lots of flavor. Whir it all up again.


Next add in about 1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper and 1 Tbsp of dried parsley. Fresh would be great, but I forgot to buy some.


Than, squeeze all the water out of the thawed spinach and add it to the food processor. If you want the spinach to be completely pureed into the hummus, you can do this step earlier.


I still wanted some chunks of spinach so I just pulsed it a little until it was combined.


Tada! Hummus. This is great served with tortilla chips, pita chips...



Or with fresh bell peppers and cucumbers, which is how I'm enjoying mine right now!

Enjoy!

 Spinach and Artichoke White Bean Hummus
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 15.5 oz can of great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Tbsp tahini
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1 clove of garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 jar of artichoke hearts
  • 1 Tbsp of artichoke heart oil
  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 5 oz frozen spinach, thawed and excess water squeezed out
Instructions:
  1. Blend all ingredients except for spinach in a food processor until smooth.
  2. Add in the spinach and pulse until combined. For a completely smooth texture, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment