Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mediterranean Tuna Melt

I'm not exactly sure what qualifies a menu item as "Mediterranean", but this tuna melt has capers, mayo made with olive oil, and red onion, which are from that area. Plus, I think it puts a fancy spin on the name Tun Melt. I'm all about the fancy.

Just kidding.

Anyways, this tuna melt is really tasty. It also happens to be fast and inexpensive. This qualifies it as the perfect college meal. Or a busy day meal. Or just a meal. Whatever the reason you're cooking it, you will enjoy it.


You will need: tuna, bread, capers, parsley (fresh, dried, anything you have is fine), lemon (real lemons would be better but I only had the juice in my fridge), red onion, mayo (again, real would be better but I only had the olive oil kind), and cheese.
I used provolone cheese, but I have also made this recipe using mozzarella and cheddar, which both work great as well.

  
Put two slices of bread in the toaster and toast. This just keeps the bread from getting too soggy when we broil it.


Speaking of, turn on your broiler.

 
Next, crack open a can of tuna in water,


And drain.


Break up the tuna a little.


And add plenty of lemon juice. Don't skimp here. You can thank me later.


And stir it in to the tuna. I'm not sure why this step makes such a difference, but it does. Make sure you stir in that lemon juice before you add the other stuff.


Add the mayo,


The capers,


The parsley,


And some black pepper. Give it a stir.


Now put your toast on a small pan. This happens to be a cake pan.

What can I say? I'm in college. I use what I got.


Spoon half of the tuna mixture on each slice,


Like so.


Now slice up a little red onion. I love the color of red onion.


And place on the tuna. So pretty!


Now cover up that pretty creation with some cheese.


And throw it under the broiler. 

I apologize for how dirty my oven is. Does someone want to come clean it for me?





Take it out when the cheese is just starting to brown.


Now enjoy!

The red onion gives it a little spice and the salty capers really take the tuna up a notch. I also recommend adding some slices of tomato right before adding the cheese. However, I didn't have any tomato in my fridge and I wasn't about to change out of my pajama pants to go get some.

Here's the recipe:

Mediterranean Tuna Melt
Serves: 1

Ingredients:

  • 7 oz. can tuna in water
  • 2 slices bread
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp capers
  • 1 Tbsp mayo
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • red onion slices
  • 2 slices provolone cheese (or whatever cheese you have)
Instructions:
  1. Toast the bread. Preheat the broiler to 500.
  2. Drain the tuna. Mix in lemon juice and stir. Add mayo, capers, parsley, and pepper. Stir.
  3. Divide mixture evenly on top of the bread slices.
  4. Top with red onion and cheese slices.
  5. Broil until cheese just starts to brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment