Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tuna Casserole

This... Is a weird one. But stay with me here.

I came home from a full day of class and homework. As always, my hunger was fighting my desire not to go to the grocery store during rush hour. They both won.

This casserole is based off of one that my grandparents' friend Mary Taylor made the last time I was up in Monticello, KY. I love old casserole recipes. They're so simple and comforting. Mary Taylor's casserole was just vegetables, I took the liberty of adding tuna and sour cream to it.

Either I was amazingly hungry, or this was actually good. My roommate tried it and confirmed that it was just tasty.


You will need: crackers (whatever is in your pantry will be fine), butter, either fresh vegetables or a pack of frozen mixed vegetables (I used both. I started doing all the chopping... and then got lazy), onion, celery, frozen peas, mayo, tuna, sour cream, and cheese.


Chop up about a cup of onion and celery, each. I know I said you could use frozen vegetables, but the fresh onion and celery really give the casserole some crunch and texture.


Add your vegetables to the bowl. Any kind of vegetables you want are fine. The world is your oyster!


Now add 2 cans of tuna to the bowl, drained.


Now add half a cup each of mayonnaise and sour cream. if it looks a little dry later, Add a little more of whichever one is your favorite.


Add some salt and pepper...


1 cup of cheddar....


And half a cup of frozen peas. I actually put in about a cup.

I love frozen peas. They are the most convenient way to add some vegetables to a dish. And I know this is weird, but I love to eat them frozen straight out of the bag too. Especially in the summer when it's 90% humidity and 90 degrees outside.

Sorry. I just really love frozen peas. I always have some.


Stir it all up and pour it into a greased 8x8 pan.

You might have noticed that the amount I was saying I put in didn't look like the actual amount I put in. And that now it seems like my ingredients have doubled. Well, I was going to make a single serving but then I realized, I don't own a baking dish small enough for a single serving. So, I went back and added more ingredients so I could fill this pan.

I'm a planner.


Now, melt about 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and mix with half a sleeve of crumbled crackers. Sprinkle this all over the top of your casserole.


Now pop this into a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbly.


Mmm... This isn't exactly a culinary masterpiece, but it's good. And easy. Perfect for a weeknight!

Tuna Casserole
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of tuna, in water
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 bag frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup cheddar
  • 1/2 sleeve crackers, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp butter
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together first 8 ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
  3. Grease an 8x8 pan. Pour mixture into pan.
  4. Melt the butter and mix with the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly!

No comments:

Post a Comment