Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spinach and Artichoke Dip Casserole

For the few people who read my little blog, I'm warning you right now: this is the sloppiest post I think I have ever done. The problem was I ate breakfast at 11 am and I didn't get a chance to start cooking this until 8 pm. Needless to say, I was extremely hungry. I was taking pictures very fast with little regard for how they looked just so I could get this sucker in the oven so I could eat.

However, this is a truly delicious casserole and I still felt I needed to share it with you.

You will need: bacon, onion, mushrooms, flour, chicken stock, cooked chicken (I went the hungry/lazy route and just bought a rotisserie chicken from Kroger), spinach and artichoke dip (I used frozen), sour cream, and orzo pasta.

Also you will need a can of cream of mushroom soup which I forgot to put in my casserole all together. I'm telling you, I am not a functional person when I'm hungry.

And pretend there is a picture of all of the ingredients up there. I need help. Does someone with a good camera/camera skills want to come take photos for me?


Begin by frying up some bacon until crisp. While this is going would be a good time to chop some mushrooms and an onion.


Put the bacon on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.


Pour off all the bacon drippings except for about a tablespoon and add some butter to the same pan.

Same pan=more flavor.


Now add some mushrooms and onions to the pan. I know you can't really see the onions in this photo, but I promise they are there.


Now once the mushrooms and onions are all cooked, add a few tablespoons of flour to the pan and stir it around for a few minutes. For those of you who also have issues turning Food Network off, we're making a roux!


Next pour in some good old white wine. Then pour yourself a glass and drink it while you finish this recipe.


Next pour in a little chicken stock. Keep this around. If the sauce gets to thick, pour some more in.


Next add in all of your chicken.


Now add in the awesome spinach and artichoke dip. I love this stuff. Everyone loves this stuff. And technically, it has vegetables in it so it must be healthy.

Right?


Now add in the sour cream and pretend that I also added a can of cream of mushroom soup. This is why I need to write my recipes down. I always forget something when I try to duplicate them if I don't.


OK, a lot happened in this photo, I know, but I really was hungry. At some point while making the sauce mixture, you should cook a box of orzo pasta. Oops. Now mix that with the sauce and pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Now top with that bacon we cooked earlier. I also added some parmesan cheese to the top that I happened to have laying around in the fridge. But it's great without it too.


Now place it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until it's all golden on top like this.

Enjoy!

Spinach and Artichoke Dip Casserole
Serves:8

Ingredients:
  • 5 slices bacon
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock (more if sauce is too thick)
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
  • 2 packages frozen spinach and artichoke dip, heated through
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 lb orzo pasta, cooked
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate and pour off all but 1 Tbsp of the drippings. Add the butter, mushrooms, and onion to the pan.
  3. Once the veggies are cooked, add the flour to the pan and stir for a few minutes. Next add in the wine and chicken stock.
  4. Next add in the chicken, dip, sour cream, and soup. Stir for a few minutes. If at any time the sauce gets too thick, add in some more chicken stock.
  5. Mix the sauce with the orzo and pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Top with crumbled bacon and parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment