A delicious, warm, breakfast mess.
My parents' friend Teresa (who we share to boat with) taught us how to make this breakfast recipe.
It's basically everything you would eat for breakfast all thrown together in a skillet and covered in cheese.
I love cheese.
You will need: 1 lb of hot sausage, 1/2 a medium onion, 1/4 a bell pepper (normally I would have used red, but green was all we had on the boat), 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 bag of frozen shredded hash browns, 1 cup of cheddar cheese (or more if that's how you roll), 6 eggs, and a splash of milk (not pictured).
Start by browning the sausage in the largest skillet you own. Break it up as it browns.
While the sausage is browning, chop up the 1/2 an onion and 1/4 of the bell pepper.
Once the sausage is cooked, add in the onion and pepper.
Stir it around and cook until the onion is translucent. Remove the sausage mixture to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside.
Add 2 Tbsp of oil to the skillet and add in the bag of frozen hash browns.
Stir everything around and cook the hash browns to your preference. I like mine super crispy. While the hash browns are browning (get it?), crack 6 eggs into a bowl with a splash of milk and whisk together.
At this point in the cooking process I started getting too busy to take photos so my boyfriend helped out. He wanted photo credit and for me to share this lovely picture of him. Since the camera I use is his anyways, I didn't mind at all.
Once the hash browns have finished cooking, shove them over to one side of the skillet and pour the eggs into the now empty side. Scrape the eggs away from the hash browns to scramble.
Once the eggs are all cooked, stir them back in with the hash browns.
Salt and pepper the mixture to taste and stir it around.
Throw the sausage back into the skillet and stir that around.
Throw the cheese on top...
And stir it around...
Until everything is mixed together.
Stand back and let everyone help themselves! This is a great breakfast serves with some sliced tomatoes on the side.
Hash Brown Surprise
- 1 lb of hot sausage
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 a bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bag of frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese (or more if that's how you roll), shredded
- 6 eggs
- splash of milk
- Brown sausage in a large skillet. Add in onion and bell pepper and cook until onions are translucent. Remove to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add in the oil and hash browns. Cook the hash browns to your liking. Scrape the hash browns over to one side of the skillet.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl with the splash of milk and whisk together. Pour in the unoccupied half of the skillet and scramble.
- Once the eggs are all cooked, add the sausage back in and mix everything together along with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the cheese and breakfast is served!