Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kale and Chicken Sandwiches

 Sorry it has been so long since I posted a new recipe. I had this recipe all ready to go but then my internet freaked out and deleted it. In addition to this, school decided to get its final revenge before I graduate so I haven't had a chance to re-post this. Just pretend I posted this a few days after the kale post, ok?

I needed to come up with a portable meal to bring to Chunk at school. He had a very busy week and he isn't so great at remembering to sleep, let alone feed himself.

I think I'm half girlfriend, half nanny.

I had made kale for my post earlier this week, I had some new hot sauce I wanted to try, and I love bacon. Voila! This sandwich was born. And it was good.


You will need: 6 sub rolls, 2 cups of cooked kale, 3 Tbsp dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp hot sauce, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 cups shredded cheese, 6 thin chicken breasts (or 3 fat ones cut in half length-wise), 1 Tbsp butter, and 9 strips of bacon.


Start by frying up the 9 strips of bacon.

I recommend frying up extras if your bacon tends to disappear into your mouth like mine does.

Set cooked bacon on a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Pour off any excess bacon grease, leaving about 1-2 Tbsp in the pan.


Now fry up your chicken in the leftover bacon grease. I added some butter too but that's completely optional.

I always add some butter.


Don't forget to season the chicken with some salt and pepper.


While your chicken is cooking, slice some sub rolls in half length-wise.


Place them on a large baking sheet, cut side up, and throw them under the broiler to toast.

Keep an eye on these! They will burn really quickly if you aren't careful.


Once the chicken is nice and golden brown on one side, flip it over and cook the other side.


While the second side of the chicken is cooking and the buns are toasting, let's make some spicy mayonnaise! Throw 1/2 cup of mayo into a small bowl.

I doubled this part of the recipe because I wanted some left over for some other sandwiches later this week.


My parents picked up this hot sauce for me on a recent trip. It's really good and different from most hot sauces. It has habanero peppers, carrots, lime juice, and some other yummy stuff.

If you have a unique or favorite product to cook with, let me know! I'll try to make some recipes for it! Send me an e-mail at realgirlseatrealbutter@gmail.com.

This will definitely happen if you send the product to me... Just saying.


Anyways... Add 1 Tbsp of the hot sauce to the mayonnaise.

I added 2 because I can handle the heat! I'm awesome like that.

Not really... This hot sauce turned out to be pretty mild. I blame the carrots.


Mix it all together and set aside.


Remember those buns? Now is probably a good time to take them out of the oven. Set them aside and let them cool for a bit or else the mayo will soak into the bread. Grody. I left mine in a tad too long. No worries, I scraped off the almost black part and all was right again.


Once the chicken is all cooked, place it on a baking sheet. I used the same one I used for the buns because I never do more dished than I have to. Top each piece of chicken with about 1/3 cup of kale.


Now cut all of the pieces of bacon in half and place three halves on each piece of chicken to cover up all that healthy green stuff.


Don't worry if it doesn't look pretty because we are about to cover it in cheese!


Now put about 1/3 cup of cheese on each piece of chicken.

Also, I admit it, I put on more than 1/3 cup. I like cheese, okay?


Throw those suckers under the broiler and keep an eye on them!


While the cheese is melting, slather one side of each bun with dijon.

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?


Then slather the other side with spicy mayo.


Once the cheese is good and melted, take the chicken out of the oven.


Put a piece of chicken on each bun bottom...


And top it off!


Look at all of these delicious sandwiches waiting to be wrapped in tin foil and a flannel shirt and taken to a hungry Chunk. (True story.)


Just look at those yummy layers... Enjoy this one guys!

Kale and Chicken Sandwiches
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
  •  6 sub rolls, split open and toasted
  • 2 cups of cooked kale
  • 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup mayonaise
  • 2 cups shredded cheese
  • 6 thin chicken breasts (or 3 fat ones cut in half length-wise)
  • 9 strips of bacon, cut in half
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tbsp butter

Instructions:
  1.  Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Set aside and drain all but 1 or 2 Tbsp of the grease from the pan.
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the bacon pan and cook the chicken breasts in a single layer. You may need to cook them in batches. While the chicken is cooking, mix the mayonnaise and hot sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Turn the broiler on to 500.
  4. Once the chicken is all cooked, place it in a single layer on a baking sheet. Top each chicken breast with 1/3 cup kale, 3 half strips of bacon, and 1/3 cup of cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts.
  5. While the cheese is melting, smear Dijon mustard on one half of the sub roll and spicy mayo on the other half.
  6. Once the cheese is melted, top each roll bottom with a piece of chicken and top it off with the bun top!
  7. Take a bite, chew, swallow, repeat.

1 comment: