This turned out to be super delicious. Thanks for the idea Joey!
You will need: 1 18 oz box of yellow cake mix, 3 Tbsp butter, 3 Tbsp + 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, 1 egg, and 1 18 oz jar of strawberry preserves.
Pour the cake mix into a large bowl.
Crack in the egg.
In a mug or microwave safe bowl, add the 3 Tbsp butter...
And the 3 Tbsp of peanut butter.
Nuke 'em for about 30 seconds, or until everything has melted.
Pour this into the bowl and mix everything together...
Until it comes together in large crumbles. If it isn't coming together, add more melted peanut butter.
Pour the mixture into a 9x9 greased baking dish...
And press it down and out to the sides with your fingers...
Until it looks like this. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
This is what it should look like after baking. Allow it to cool for about an hour.
Once it has cooled, spread 1/2 cup of peanut butter in an even layer on top of the cake mixture.
You could actually skip the cooling process, but it makes it much easier to spread the peanut butter on top.
Now scrape all of the peanut butter off the spatula with your finger...
And lick it off. This is a super important step. Don't skip it.
Do you like my glasses? I usually wear contacts, but it's that time of the year where Georgia turns yellow with pollen and it bugs the living daylights out of my eyes.
Next spread the entire jar of preserves on top of the peanut butter...
And bake at 325 for about 25 minutes. Don't over bake or your jelly will burn.
To serve: put a big scoop of casserole on a bowl...
Add ice cream (or whipped cream or BOTH) and make sure you get a bite of everything on your spoon.
All gone! Be sure and make this for the PBJ lover in your life. Both of mine loved it.
- 1 18 oz box of yellow cake mix
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp + 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, separated
- 1 egg
- 1 18 oz jar of strawberry preserves.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and 3 Tbsp peanut butter. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until everything has melted.
- Combine the butter mixture with the egg and cake mix in a large bowl until everything comes together in large crumbles.
- Press the cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x9 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- After the cake has cooled, spread the peanut butter on top of the cake followed by the preserves. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it and don't let the jelly burn!
- Serve with ice cream.