Friday, April 6, 2012

Sausage, Biscuits, and Gravy

One of my favorite Southern breakfast staples is sausage, biscuits, and gravy. It fills you up and gives your day a GREAT start.

I have to be honest, in terms of food, I was spoiled growing up. My mom always woke up early to make us a "rib-sticking" breakfast. This almost always meant some sort of combination of a breakfast meat (where my love of bacon began), eggs, toast, pancakes, cream of wheat, grits, or biscuits. We almost never had cereal.

I remember I got a real shock on my first few sleepovers when the food was never very good and breakfast meant cereal. I assumed all moms cooked like mine. This was also the way all of my grandmothers cooked. Hearty food and lots of it.

One of my grandmothers would practically force feed you until all of the food was gone.

Anyways, this has always been one of my favorite breakfasts and it's so easy to make!


You will need: sausage patties, 2 Tbsp of flour (approximately), and about 1 cup of milk.

Oh! You will also need biscuits. If you don't want to make your own, you could always use canned or frozen ones and just follow the instructions on the packaging.


Heat a skillet to just shy of medium and plop your patties in.

I love these boxes of frozen pre-shaped patties. They're fast and it's easy to cook how ever many you want to at a time.


After a few minutes, flip the patties over to cook on the other side.

I usually end up flipping my patties 3 times during the whole cooking process.


Once the sausage has cooked to your liking, remove them to a paper towel lined plate.


Now you want to add as much flour to your pan as you have grease. I had about a tablespoon of grease in my pan so I added a tablespoon of flour. Stir it around and cook it for a few minutes.

This brings up an important point, some sausage brands will not produce enough grease to make gravy. In my experience, Swaggerty and Tennessee Pride brands always have.

Experiment at your own risk. There is nothing as disappointing as no gravy.


After the flour taste has cooked out of your roux, pour in the milk and stir, stir, stir.


Eventually, everything will combine and thicken and look like gravy!


Now just season with salt and pepper and get ready for some gravy!

It's all about the gravy, baby.


Load up your plate with some biscuits...



And sausage...


And cover it with some gravy!


Make sure to get a bite of everything on your fork! Gravy heaven...

Sausage, Biscuits, and Gravy
Serves: 2

Ingredients:
  • 4 sausage patties, cooked with grease left in pan
  • 1 Tablespoon of flour (or however much grease is in the pan)
  • 1 cup of milk (maybe more if gravy becomes too thick)
  • Biscuits 
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:
  1. Heat the grease to medium heat and add in your flour. Stir around and cook for a few minutes.
  2. While stirring, pour in your milk. Continue to stir until gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  3. If gravy becomes too thick, add more milk! Pour over cooked sausages and biscuits.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment